As a recent graduate of our Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS), I know we are not providing our students with the education they deserve. We need fresh leadership to confront the challenges of classroom overcrowding, aging facilities, low teacher retention, and lack of transparency in our School Board. Our students lack the post secondary readiness needed for a 21st century economy.
In Annapolis, I will fight to bring renovation dollars back to our District to update our outdated equipment and technology. To increase transparency and accountability in our schools, I will work to repeal HB 1107 and return our School Board to a fully elected body.
Having our students career and college ready means having a 21st century school system that focuses on the needs of our students both inside and out of the classroom. As your Delegate, I will fight for Universal Pre-K and affordable Community Colleges even in our most challenging neighborhoods. I will also work to partner with various Labor Trades to provide apprenticeship and certification opportunities for our students and young adults.
We should be working to integrate the successes and best practices from magnet and charter schools into the public school system, but we should also be holding these schools and it’s teachers to the same performance standards as our state schools.
We need to treat our teachers like doctors, since the lifeblood of our economy is literally in their hands. This requires investing in:
• Higher pay
• College loan forgiveness
• Elevate and improve training and education programs
• Providing teachers with the tools and support they need to be successful
The government’s responsibility to educate our workforce is as important than ever. We must commit to fully funding public education. This means:
• Rebuilding our schools as part of a major infrastructure reinvestment.
• Create a system of universal access to free Pre-K (Less than half of 3-4 year olds in Maryland have access to pre k.)
• Reduce child care costs for families
• Provide free 2-year college tuition (The State of Tennessee has already made this free for all adults.)
• Debt free 4-year tuition for students with loan forgiveness plans